Advanced basics features of Microsoft Word Setup. Full explanations of Microsoft Word uses and features. In this article, I am writing about detailed features and uses of Microsoft Word Setup application. These features help you to learn the basics of MS Word 2007, 2013 and 2016 Setup versions.
Microsoft word is the most important word-processing office application used by students, teachers, IT professionals and companies etc. around the world. Microsoft Word Setup is the most important word-processing office application used by students, teachers, IT professionals and companies etc. around the world.
Microsoft word is used to create and edit professional-looking documents such as resume, books, admission forms, letters, paper, reports and booklets, cover pages, notes, assignments, brochures and even web pages.
Microsoft Word Templates Features and uses
Templates : – In MS Word are pre-defined professional designs for users. In which all the page layout, fonts, colors, graphics, outline, text boxes etc. word processor user get by default. To insert template you need to go File Menu -> New then you can see available templates and www.office.com/setup template.
Microsoft Word Setup application contains so many templates such as business cards, educational layouts and graphics, event planner document and event management templates, flyers, invoices templates, invitations templates, many types of forms, resume templates etc.
This is a most beneficial feature of Microsoft Word Setup Application. Because of even less Microsoft word literate users can use Microsoft word without the knowledge of other menus and functions.
Microsoft Word Home Menu Features and its Uses
Microsoft word home menu contains all the basic standard formatting options such as font settings, paragraphs, styles, and editing. Home menu is very important to practice for MS Word processor students.
Clipboard: – In Microsoft Word Home Menu Clipboard is the first category menu which is used to store copied material temporarily. Such as text and picture or any object in Microsoft Word.
The uses of clipboard function are that user can copy, replace, place the text from one section to another section of the page. Also, the uses can be extended to this function such as copied texts remain saved temporarily until not deleted.
You can see your copied text and image in Clipboard when you click on the bottom right corner (little arrow sign in box). And if you want to Copy then use CTRL+C and for paste use CTRL+V
Font: – In which user can set font style according to the nature of the document. For example, if someone is writing application or resume then font can be Calibri or any professional font. If anyone is writing fancy paragraph or poem then font can be Freestyle Script.
You can also type in Hindi, Punjabi in Microsoft Word Setup by downloading Hindi or Punjabi fonts then installing those fonts. Such as AGRA, Kruti Deve, Kundli etc. Hindi fonts are common in use. Microsoft Word Setup provides more advantages for users other than any word processor.
In MS word home menu user can set and change font size easily. They can fill color background behind the text, users can set text transformation to uppercase, lowercase and in Title case etc. any line can be underlined and italic based on the document style.If you want to use all font options from one place then press Ctrl+Shift+F on the keyboard. This is a shortcut key to open Font options.
Paragraph: – Paragraph sub-menu is another great feature in MS-word that can be used to align paragraph, highlight features and important points by using bullets and numbers. MS Word users can also set line spacing to improve readability of the document.
Style: – If users don’t know anything about the font, paragraph formatting then they can use style category menu under home menu. In which any text can be highlighted according to the pre-defined style. E.g. heading size, subheading size etc. confusions can be easily solved in styles category.
Such as if you’re using various heading in your essay or document but don’t know how to set the font size, then you don’t need to worry, just select the text you want to make heading and then click on Heading 1.
In styles category, there are 6 types of heading such as Heading1, Heading 2, Heading 3, Heading 4, Heading 5 and Heading 6. Such options are very useful in education or educational material. Books and study material can be designed professionally by using these options in Microsoft Word.
Change styles: – Users can set any style for their document in Microsoft Word. This is another very useful option in which document style can be edited or created according to the reader of the document.
In change style menu you can set your document style distinctive, elegant, fancy, formal, modern, newsprint, perspective, modern, simple and traditional etc. Also, you can set paragraph spacing too tight, compact, relaxed etc. based on user’s demand or according to reader’s point of view.
Editing: – Another use of home menu in Microsoft Word Setup by using Editing Category Menu. The user can find any word or line in between document. They only need to press F5 or Ctrl+F and then they can find and replace any text in the document.
They can select, replace any object in the document. They can visit any page or section in the document by pressing Ctrl+G from the keyboard then they can put page number and click on Go To. These wonderful features are not available in one place in such an easy style in other word processing applications.
Insert Menu Features in Microsoft Word Setup and Uses
- Insert mean in Microsoft Word Setup to insert something from outside into the page. Such as pages (cover pages, blank pages, and page break), Table, picture, clip art, shapes, smart art, hyperlink, header and footer, text boxes symbols etc.) All are great features of Insert menu in Microsoft Word. These functions provide exceptional uses for the word user. Let’s understand these features and uses below:
- Pages (Cover Page, Blank Page, and Page Break): – In MS-Word, Page sub-menu contains three main features.
- Cover page feature can be utilized in the start of the document or it will be used on the first page of the document. Such as students, teachers, professional, writers can insert cover page in stories, assignments, notes and articles etc. to highlight the title for the written story, notes, description and author name.
- There are so many pre-defined cover page templates that can be used to get attentions of readers while they will receive your printed or pdf copy.
- Also if you’re not satisfied with these templates then there is another option called more cover pages from office.com. According to Google translator cover is a thing that lies on, around something and conceals etc.
- Magazine front page is also cover page it can be edited photographs or designed text. Books front page, greeting cards first page etc. are the examples of the cover page. I think you got this.
- Blank page option provides the user for inserting any blank page after cursor. For example, if you want blank page after writing the first paragraph on one page then you can click on this option. You can also use Ctrl + Enter for to insert a blank page after the cursor.
- The use of blank page function is mostly found outs on book publishing or eBook designing. People also can use in their notes and documents.
- The benefits of using this function that it will consume less memory of a computer or it will help to create less .docx (extension of MS word file) file word or .pdf(Portable document file extension) file.
- Page break is similar to blank page option (You can use same key: Ctrl+Enter) but it will start a new page after the click. But the difference between a blank page and page feature is that you can insert the blank page at the cursor position, where page break starts the next page at the current position. No big difference.
- Tables Menu uses in Microsoft Word Setup : – The use of table menu is that you can insert or draw a table in the document. You can insert a table, draw the table, convert text into a table, and insert a quick table (pre-designed tables).
- This is the most important function in the Insert menu that is mostly used to design or draw calendars, reports, and invoices and used in while creating forms, labels, newsletters etc.
- illustrations: – Illustrations menu is used to insert the picture, clip art, shapes, smart art, chart and screen shots etc. The uses of illustrations menu in Microsoft word that it will help users to visualize the documents view to readers.
- Such as by inserting image, adding clips, smart art etc. The purpose of using these visual appealing options is to explore the creativity in readers mind while reading printed word file or pdf document.
- Picture menu is used to insert a picture from your computer hard drives or from desktop to the current position of your cursor. You can also insert picture anywhere in the text box, word art and in smart art etc. Whenever you have to insert the image inside any object in Microsoft word then click on Picture Option under Illustration Menu.
- Clip Art uses in Microsoft Word Setup to insert Art clips such as drawings, movie clips, sounds that illustrate the concept written in the document. These features help students to understand the concept by seeing clips. Also good to use in all kind of educational and study materials.
- Shapes feature is used to insert rectangular, circle, arrows, charts, lines, symbols based on the demand of the document. For example, while giving examples of something such as water consumption or electricity consummations in a document then we can use these shapes in Microsoft Word Setup.
- We can also highlight, colourise, decorate or insert text and images inside the shapes. This is also a great feature to present reports in meaningful and professional methods.
- by using process diagrams, hierarchy diagrams, list diagrams, relationship diagrams etc. such diagrams is very important in which we can use to display organizational structure, processes such as (Input->Processor->Output).
- SmartArt is easy to understand and teach any complex problem. The option is also available in Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Charts is used to illustrate and compare data in MS word by using Bar, Pie, Line, Area, and surface etc. mostly used charts in MS word. We can insert excel chart into Microsoft Word Setup. When you click on the chart it will open Microsoft Excel spreadsheet which we can use to write figures.
- The uses of a chart are very beneficial to display data comparison and data analytics. You can find such option mostly on math or economics books and newspaper economic page. In which publishers are using such kind of charts to display the facts and figures.
- Screenshot is the great option in MS word and it is used to take a screenshot of opened programs or applications on the computer and on the internet. You can insert the same captured clip in MS word document in real time.
- It’s like a web camera in MS word. The uses illustrations options for teachers and students in Microsoft word are great. Students and teachers can use these options to explain data organization, story maps, cause and effects, topic building, clocks to teach about time etc.
- Also, entrepreneurs or manager can use these options to highlight decision trees, pros, and cons, brainstorming exercises. English tutor can use these options to enhance student’s English vocabulary etc. There are so many uses but tough to share in one post. But I hope you got the ideas about the uses of Illustrations in Microsoft Word.
- Links: –Insert menu category contains a hyperlink, bookmark, and cross-reference function. In which users use to link any internal or external file, picture, the web page from the document. Also, the bookmark can be inserted on anywhere in the page and then we can create the hyperlink to visit that position on the same document without scrolling.
- Hyperlink is used to create the link from text to any file, picture, videos, website etc. For example, if you want your reader to find more information about certain cause or solution then you can link that source from using hyperlink option.
- Such as when you search on Google for something then all the list of search results are also hyperlinked.
- Cross-reference is similar to Hyperlink option that is used to refer the user to headings, tables etc. you find such option in E-books in which table of content of eBook is connected to the pages and figures. To insert a hyperlink on the selected document text from keyword press Ctrl+K on the keyboard.
Features and uses of Page Layout Menu in Microsoft Word
Page layout menu in Microsoft word gives various uses for the user to set themes, page setup, page background, paragraph and arrangement in the document. Page layout features in Microsoft Word Setup is very useful for eBook publisher and document printing business and also for common word users.
Themes: – In Microsoft word, a theme is a set of pre-designed document designs fonts, headings, effects etc. By the use of theme option in Microsoft word, the user can change the overall design of the page such as fonts, effects, and colors etc.
Page Setup: – Page setup is the most important option and the users start after creating a new document. I always recommend to all my students that before writing, creating, designing or doing anything in Microsoft you should first do the page setup.
Why because all the page margins, page orientation and size etc. creating problems later when you print the document or do the arrangement of objects.
Margins option is used to set blank spaces from edges towards inside from outside. Margins are page edges that are outside main content of the document. The margin will help us to define paragraph starting point and ending point.
By doing click on margin option there are various pre-defined margins such as narrow in which margins are 0.5 from the top, bottom, left and right. Where normal is 1” from all four sides. If the physical paper is the A4 size it mean its width is 8.27” and height is 11.69” then you can set 0.5” margin from all corners recommended. Because the fewer margins on the edges will use less paper for your document.
Features of Reference Menu in Microsoft Word and It’s Uses
Reference menu and options mean mentioning, or referring the source of information. In this I will define Footnotes feature:
Footnote: – Footnote in Microsoft Word is used to add the special text or written text reference in the document at the end of the page. This is not the footer, this will come before the footer.
For example, if you’re writing in the document, book page any figure or fact that is published on newspaper then you can mention in the footnote about the source of information that it is published on abcd newspaper.
But endnote is different and but the output is similar. Endnote will come at the end of the paragraph. Endnote is used after the paragraph but the footnote is used at the end of the document. The font size of the endnote and footnote is small than other written text.
You can see footnote and EndNote examples in the dictionary bottom page, old English literate books and in English nobles and magazines.
- Microsoft Word Mailings Menu Features and It’s Uses
- In Microsoft Word Setup Mailings Menu Mail Merge is the most powerful feature that is used to send bulk emails and printouts letters, document for thousands of people or print out thousands of copies with a different name, address, and email fields but with the same subject or company name.
- This option is very beneficial to send a newsletter, reports, notifications, updates etc. to team members by Manger, to customer from banks to reader, from blogger and to students from Teachers. Also, mail merge is used by the printing press to print envelopes with the same subject line but with a different name on each printed page.
How do I wrap text around a drawing object in Word?
- In page layout view, select the text box or drawing object.
- On the Format menu, click AutoShape, Text Box, Picture, or Object, and then click the Wrapping tab.
- Under Wrapping style, click the option you want.
How do I set page size in Microsoft Word Setup ?
In Office 2003 or earlier
- Go to File->Page Setup
- Click on the tab named “Paper”
- Choose the desired size from the “Paper Size” drop down. You can specify the size using “Custom Size”, if it is not already available.
If you are using Office/Word 2007, “Paper Size” option would be available in the “Page Layout” tab.
How do I add page numbers to my book in MS Word?
To insert Page numbers, go to Insert->Page Numbers. Page numbers inserted like this would be updated automatically, if you insert or delete pages from the document. Do not insert page numbers manually for every page. Updating such documents would be a nightmare.
How do I add table of content to my book in MS Word?
In Office 2003 or earlier, use the following steps to insert an automatic table of content
- Format the “Chapter Titles” and whatever else you would want in the Table of Content with pre-defined Styles. In general you can use “Heading 1”, “Heading 2”, “Heading 3” etc. for the titles at different levels. It is possible to define custom styles and include other things in Table of Content too. But you may very well do without it.
- After the chapters are written, click where you want to insert the Table of Content.
- Go to Insert->Reference->Index and Table (If you are using MS Word/Office 2007, Table of Content feature can be found on “Reference” tab.)
- Click on “Table of Contents” tab. Select the desired options there. Playing around with options a bit would give you an idea of how the table looks the best.
- Sometimes you would have formatted some things with the heading styles, which you would not want in the “Table of Content”. You can manually delete those lines manually.
- If you change things is the document, before finalizing it, update the Table of Content. For doing this, right click on the Table of Content and click on “Update Field”. There would be two options, namely
- Update page numbers only : Use if no new headings would come, but page numbers might have changed.
- Update Entire Table : Use if you have added new chapter headings etc.